Okay, I tricked you, Well yes, this is basically a blog about exercise & working out, but so many people have a lot of baggage when it comes to “those words”, so like so many other things we struggle with, often a few changes in words or perspective can give you the boost you need to get going. REALLY, it is quite simple, it’s all about moving your body! Keeping healthy muscles is more than just strength and how you look on the outside. So many of us join a gym or start a class with lofty expectations of being bikini bod ready or because the doctor said it was a good idea, I prefer “invest in yourself” if this doesn’t speak to you and you are in need of some motivation; here’s my list of six simple things regular moving your body aka EXERCISE will do for you!
1. Reduce Stress & Anxiety One of the best ways to reduce stress is to go workout (seriously, just move)! Just about everyone has some form of stress in their life. Data proves people who exercise on a regular basis tend to have less stress, they have found a way to decompress. If you’re feeling stressed out, just move your body! Exercise has a calming after effect as your body temperature returns to normal. The higher the intensity, the calmer you may feel. Although any type of exercise can reduce stress, just MOVE! Additionally: methodical things with a positive outcome have been proven to be calming effect, regular movement of your body CAN reduce anxiety
2. Boost Moods-Reduce Depression When you exercise, okay MOVE YOUR BODY, your body secretes chemicals in your brain such as dopamine, epinephrine, nor-epinephrine, and serotonin-these are some powerful natural mood boosters, that yes! can give you a positive outlook on life. Who wants to feel bad, really? Exercising as little as 30 minutes has been shown to immediately increase moods. Regular exercise has been one of the most recommended remedies for decreasing depression for years! The problem is most people don’t do it! Believe it or not, I get it, when you’re depressed, you don’t feel motivated to exercise, and when you don’t exercise, you feel more depressed! It is a vicious cycle. Break the cycle by vowing to invest in yourself no matter how you feel! You’re only one workout away from a better mood. Moving regularly gives you more energy-moving more is better, plain & simple
3. Increases Brain Power Many studies show that regular exercise can increase your ability to learn as well as be more alert and creative during the day! On a physical level, moving creates more oxygen and blood flow to the brain! How can you NOT have more brainpower with this influx of your body’s best stuff? Regular exercise has also been proven to prevent degeneration of your brain as you age. Your risk of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia can be decreased dramatically.
4. Builds Self-Esteem & Confidence Working out can help you have a positive self-image as well as increased self-confidence! It is no secret that regular resistance training and aerobic exercise helps condition your body by adding lean muscle and dropping body fat. When you look better, you feel better! Plain and simple. More importantly, setting goals and getting to new fitness levels gives you a feeling of accomplishment, WIN, WIN!
5. Bolster Your Immune System Like money in the bank-If your muscles are broken down and weaker, it can be more of a challenge to fight off and recover from a health setback. That’s why muscle health is like a savings account, you must build up a reserve that you can rely on in times of need to help you get back on your feet quicker. I like to think of it as battle-ready! If you do get sick you are better equipped to recover.
6. Better Posture Muscles play a role in your body’s movement, balance, and posture. Stronger muscles hold your structure better, simple, this has so many benefits. Keeping yourself upright can improve, digestion & respiration making your body and overall more efficient machine. Better balance, when we lose too much muscle, it can cause things like falls or fractures. Muscles also play a role in your metabolism-keeping good muscle structure improves how your body consumes and uses oxygen when you are exercising aka moving your body in ANY WAY, but can also help burn more calories even when you sleeping. Umm, how is this NOT a good thing?
We are inundated, daily with images & info that seems to tell us you need to workout to LOOK better, how about to BE better in many ways. How about focusing on one of these 6 improvements instead! Small changes, can yield big results!
Cheers to your Best Self!
*items here are intended for entertainment and information, should be not be substituted for medical advice, health concerns should be directed to qualified medical personnel.